Another option is to turn right at the end of the East pier and look for a pathway on the right hand side, past the apartments and opposite the entrance to the steps down to Balcadden Beach. Some car parking spaces available but exit must be onwards to the right- hand turn just past the parked car in photo. Not the best option when it had been raining .!.
The restored cannon on Martello http://www.photopol.com/Tower No.7 at Killiney Hill, South Dublin.
Photograph courtesy Alan Hydes, Bristol on visit to Garinish Martello Tower, County Cork illustrating thickness of Tower walls.
“Mortella” in Italian means “myrtle” which grows abundantly on Cape Mortella in Corsica and originated the name of the famous Tower. An evergreen shrub with dense foliage grows abundantly in middle-east and south European countries.
Many varieties exist and some more than others have culinary uses. In Italy food flavoured with smoke of myrtle are common in rural areas of Italy and Sardinia and compounded dried myrtle leaves are widely used in Western Europe as flavourings.
Beggars Bush, Dublin . De-commisioned cannon from Towers.
Recycled bridge reinforcements at Duncannon.
Web addresses in CREDITS for info only.(NO LINKS)
Aughinnish Island Martello Tower Home Page photograph by Gerard Dillon,Kinvara
Balbriggan National Library of Ireland (NLI)
Balbriggan Tony Healy Balbriggan.net
Bere Island Ardagh Alan Cowley, Bristol
Bere Island Clochlann John Eagle Photography, Eyeries, County Cork
Bray, County Wicklow (NLI)
Cork Harbour Irish Naval Service (INS)
Corsica Marak Prokop, Cape Mortella
Dalkey Island http://www.dalkeyhomepage/aerial/
Drumanagh, Rush./Rossaveel NIAH National Institute of Architectural Heritage
Dun Laoighaire Pier Fort http://www.dalkeyhomepage/aerial/
Duncannon Fort http://www.dunarruin.com Website.
Duncannon Tower Brendan and Catherine O’Connor, Owner
Garinish Island Alan Hydes. Bristol
Greencastle Tower Lough Foyle http://www.nitowns.com
Howth Tower restoration 2016 photographs Joe Guilfoyle,Howth Radio Museum.
Lough Swilly, Donegal photos Peter Dillon
Ireand’s Eye Tower Tony Walsh, Artane, Dublin
Killiney Hill Niall O’Donoghue, Killiney Tower No.7
Macamish Tower Lough Swilly
Magilligan Tower Lough Foyle http://www.nitowns.com
Meelick Tower Inland Waterways Association of Ireland
Shannon Estuary photographs Clare County Library sonia Schorman Collection.
Simon’s Town, South Africa Simon’s Town Heritage and Museum
South and East Coast Towers of England Steve Poppel, Felixstowe
St.John, Canada Harold E.Wright St.John Heritage
Towers at Begger’s Bush
Minorcan Towers Tony Walsh, Dublin
SOME FAMOUS WORLD FORTIFICATIONS.
Murud-Janjira Fort is situated on an oval-shaped rock off the Arabian Sea coast near the port town of Murud, 165 km (103 mi) south of Mumbai. Janjira is considered one of the strongest marine forts in India. The fort is approached by sailboats from Rajapuri jetty. The main gate of the fort faces Rajapuri on the shore and can be seen only when one is about 40 feet away from it . It has a small postern gate towards the open sea for escape.
Kalak Bangadi, 3rd Largest Cannon in India At Janjira Fort, weighing over 22 Tons
The fort has 21 rounded bastions, still intact. There are many cannons of native and European make rusting on the bastions. Now in ruins, the fort in its heyday was a full-fledged living fort with all the necessary facilities
THE LARGEST CANNON IN THE WORLD
The Jaivana cannon is the largest wheeled cannon ever constructed. It is located at the Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur. It was cast in 1720, during the reign of Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II of Jaipur. The formidable strength of its builder, the scientifically inclined warrior Sawai Jai Singh II, lay in the large number of artillery and copious supply of munitions which he maintained. Jaivan rests on a high 4 wheeled carriage. The front wheels are 2.74 m in diameter and the rear wheels are 1.37 m in diameter.
The length of the barrel of the cannon is 20 feet 2 inches and it weighs 50 tons.Cannons always had a water tank beside them, for the gunner to jump into to avoid the massive shock wave. Jaivan’s gunner is said to have died on the spot on firing the cannon, before he could jump into water.
Mehrangarh Fort stands a hundred feet in splendor on a perpendicular cliff, four hundred feet above the sky line of Jodhpur. Burnished red sand stone, imposing, invincible and yet with a strange haunting beauty that beckons . Much has been written about the Citadel of the Sun, for truly, it is one of the most impressive in all Rajasthan. So colossal are its proportions that Rudyard Kipling called it “ the work of giants”. Today, it is acknowledged as one of the best preserved fort in India.
The Red Fort was the residence of the Mughal emperor of India for nearly 200 years, until 1857. It is located in the centre of Delhi and houses a number of museums. In addition to accommodating the emperors and their households, it was the ceremonial and political centre of Mughal government and the setting for events critically impacting the region.
On Independence Day (15 August), the Prime Minister of India hoists the national flag at the main gate of the fort and delivers a nationally-broadcast speech from its ramparts.(copy from Wikipedia)
The Castle of Jimena de la Frontera The castle is situated on the outskirts of Jimena de la Frontera in the Province of Cádiz, Spain. The castle was originally built by the Grenadian Moors of the Umayyad Caliphate ruling over the area of Hispania Baetica (modern Andalusia) in the 8th Century. It served as one of many castles guarding both the approach to the fortifications around Gibraltar and the Bay of Algeciras where the strategic and important Moorish stronghold and fortress of Algeciras was located.The fortress was likely build over the ruins of the ancient city of Oba which dated to pre Roman Celtiberian period. Given its strategic location on the frontier of the Gibraltar region, this fortress proved an important Moorish stronghold throughout the Muslim domination of the Iberian Peninsula.
View of the modern town of Jemina from the Castle, note the extent of the panoramic views from the castle.The castle was originally built by the Grenadian Moors of the Umayyad Caliphate ruling over the area of Hispania Baetica (modern Andalusia) in the 8th Century. It served as one of many castles guarding both the approach to the fortifications around Gibraltar and the Bay of Algeciras where the strategic and important Moorish stronghold and fortress of Algeciras was located.(Wikipedia)
After the United Kingdom gained control of Gibraltar under The Treaties of Utrecht in 1717, Tarifa was garrisoned and fortified by the British. The city walls themselves were constructed between the 10th and the 12th century. The most important reconstruction took place in the 18th century,
The last siege of the town and this castle occurred in 1812 when Napoleon’s troops failed to overcome Tarifa’s tenacious resistance. The small coastal town had been occupied by a small British garrison early in 1811. But in December 1811, 4000 Anglo/Spanish troops crowded into Tarifa, which only had a population of about three thousand in those days, defending the town against the 12,500 French troops under Marshal Victor. The weather was on the side of the Anglo/Spanish troops and stopped the charges by the French troops, having to give up for lack of moral and food. The breach in the city walls was repaired and on it was placed an inscription, which still hangs there today.
Tarifa Spain was predominantly a fishing village with its colourful fleet occupying the harbour, until some 25 years ago when the first of the windsurfers discovered Tarifa and introduced tourism which is now Tarifa’s main source of income. The harbour became an international ‘Schengen’ harbour some 4 years ago, and more and more ferries are making the 35 minute crossing from here to Tangier.
Alcazar of Toledo
During the Spanish Civil War, Colonel José Moscardó Ituarte held the building against overwhelming Spanish Republican forces in the Siege of the Alcázar.
The events of the Spanish Civil War at the Alcázar made the structure a symbol for Spanish Nationalism and inspired the naming of El Alcázar, a far-right newspaper that began during the civil war and ended during the Spanish transition to democracy as the mouthpiece for Búnker, a faction of Francoists who opposed reform after Francisco Franco’s death.
By the end of the siege, the building had been severely damaged. After the war, it was rebuilt and now houses the Castilla-La Mancha Regional Library (“Biblioteca Autonómica”) and the Museum of the Army (“Museo del Ejército”), the latter having previously been housed in the Salón de Reinos in Madrid.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;Wikipedia
MAGAZINE FORT, DUBLIN, IRELAND> >
By Dronepicr (Own work) [CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons
The Magazine Fort is a bastion fort and magazine located within the Phoenix Park, in Dublin, Ireland. Built in 1735, it was occupied by British Armed Forces until 1922 when it was turned over to the Irish Defence Forces after the Anglo-Irish Treaty. The Irish Army continued to operate the site as an ammunition store through the mid-20th century. It was fully demilitarised by the 1980s. The fort is now managed by the Office of Public Works. As of 2015, it is in a derelict state and is not open to the public.This Fort located in Phoenix Park and close to the now named Collins Barracks Collins Barracks was an indication of the Forces made available to resist losing Irish occupation.
Restoration of the Fort was recently been proposed and who knows what the future may hold. These 2016 photographs shows the enormous cost and task that would present.
View showing proximity of Magazine Fort to Dublin City Centre.
Photographer: Courtesy Peter Dillon©
Japanese castles (城 shiro?) were fortresses constructed primarily of wood and stone. They evolved from the wooden stockades of earlier centuries, and came into their best-known form in the 16th century. Castles in Japan were built to guard important or strategic sites, such as ports, river crossings, or crossroads, and almost always incorporated the landscape into their defenses.
Photos attribute:By 663highland (663highland) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) or CC BY 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons
SOUTH OF FRANCE
Carcassonne is located in the Aude plain between two great axes of circulation linking the Atlantic to the Mediterranean sea and the Massif Central to the Pyrénées. Its strategic importance was quickly recognized by the Romans who occupied its hilltop until the demise of the Western Roman Empire and was later taken over by the Visigoths in the fifth century who founded the city. Also thriving as a trading post due to its location, it saw many rulers who successively built up its fortifications up until its military significance was greatly reduced by the Treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659.The city is famous for the Cité de Carcassonne, a medieval fortress restored by the theorist and architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc in 1853 and added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1997. Consequently, Carcassonne greatly profits from tourism but also counts manufacture and wine-making as some of its other key economic sectors(.Source Wikipedea)(Licence free GNU)
Carcassonne was the first fortress to use hoardings in times of siege. Temporary wooden ramparts would be fitted to the upper walls of the fortress through square holes beneath the rampart itself. It provided protection to defenders on the wall and allowed defenders to go out past the wall to drop projectiles on attackers at the wall beneath.
editing in progress JD